Sunday, December 20, 2009

Kayak expedition can't find a home

My man paddling the Wikwemikong coastline. July 2009.
I'm having trouble with the article I wrote about our kayak circumnavigation of Manitoulin Island - the world's largest freshwater island. We completed the trip in July and I set to work immediately writing the story to sell to a magazine. I also have evocative photos to go with it that I have refrained from posting here so I could sell them as unpublished.
Alas, it was rejected by the first kayak magazine right away. Then it was sent back by the next kayak magazine requesting a rewrite. And the rewrite has just been rejected.
This may be a lesson on writing about something too close to you. Perhaps the vividly exciting and terrifying events need time to mellow in my memories. Or maybe it's just like being held captive for 3 hours looking at Aunt Mildred's vacation shots. SHE certainly thinks they're exciting.

13 comments:

Paul Greci said...

Nice photo. My wife and I have done a lot of sea kayaking. A few month long trips. Good luck w/the article!

nephite blood spartan heart said...

I like the analogy about everyones perpetual Aunt Mildred.

Janet, said...

don't give up, I'm sure it will eventually be accepted. You lead a very exciting life.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I'm sorry about the snags you're running into! I can't imagine the frustration.

The photo is stellar and I'm betting Aunt Mildred is a peach! Is she the one that put your work on the front of her refrigerator when you were little?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL!

Don't giv eup, Terry.

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a gorgeous photo! My husband and I like to go kayaking off our coast here in California. I love exploring the coast that way.

Anonymous said...

That picture is stunning, and I've always wanted to try kayaking.

Tara McClendon said...

What a beautiful photo. You'll find a home for your story. Hang in there.

Kristin said...

LOL about Aunt Mildred's vacation shots. We've all been there. Wishing you success in 2010! The photo is amazing!

Kelly Polark said...

Great photo! Let it sit awhile and then try a nonspecific kayak magazine like a vacation or water sports one? Good luck!

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Paul - so cool! A month of paddling sounds awesome. Lucky you!

David - I like your blog too.

Janet - Thanks for the encouragement

PJ - I have been quite lucky with past articles, so it was time for some rejections. Yes, they are frustrating!

Thanks Diane!

Solvang Sherrie - California coast is on my to do list! Lucky you.

Medeia, you should definitely try it - sort of like zen for me.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Tara - thanks for the encouragement.

Kristin - hope you have a great New Year too!

Kelly - that's great advice! Thanks.

Rena Jones said...

Beautiful picture, TerryLynn. We got into kayaking as soon as we moved to Montana. I love it, even though we're only doing it in large tandums so the kids can come with us. Eventually, I'd love to get a lighter, single one for myself. Good luck with your article!