Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pitch session and Muse Conference

I've had my first ever pitch session online. Since it lasted only five minutes, there really wasn't much to it other than me pasting my 100 word pitch and the publisher asking one question. She then gave me a special code to submit the first three chapters of my ms. Here's my pitch:

In Sled Dog Seasons, a 17,000 word middle grade novel, twelve-year-old Rebecca dreams of becoming a famous sled dog racer.

She's an inventive, but self-doubting musher who tackles freezing blizzards, wild animal attacks, puppy training and flying poo missiles. But all of her challenges seem easier than living up to the dogs' trust in her abilities.

Rebecca runs her huskies along the crisp trails near Thunder Bay, Ontario, where northern lights flare and dangerous beavers lurk.

Through the bond she shares with the dogs, Rebecca learns that hard work, dedication and living in the moment bring their own rewards.



Before my turn, I was gathered in a chat room with the other pitchers and somehow, that elevated my stress level. By the time my turn came I had worked myself into a lather and could hardly type. I was so nervous my ice cold fingers quivered on the keyboard. How embarrassing!
Since it will be at least three months before I hear back from the publisher, I will from this point forward wipe it from my mind and not dwell. Yup, no dwelling, or obsessing or worrying...

I'm heading back to the rockin' conference. I'll return when it's over and I'm full of knowledge.

6 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You did all you could! Congratulations, too!

I wish I could've participated in more at the Muse Conference this week. I did one chat and two workshops, and yesterday was MY chat, but I had too many events scheduled this week to really get the full experience...

Mindy said...

Hey Terry

I'm doing the Conference this year too and omg it's been so busy for me!

I'm moderating, transcribing and doing about 20 workshops this year.

Talk about brain overload!

Natalie said...

That's awesome! I've never done a pitch session of any sort so I admire your bravery. I think I would be scared to death.

Janet said...

That sounds like a good story. Good Luck on your pitch and submission.

LeSan said...

Wow. That must have been one hell of a side room gathering. You did a great job with your query. I do know how impossible those are to write. Good job and I am rooting for a positive return on your efforts. Your right. Stop thinking about it and forget I ever posted this comment. hehe

Tara McClendon said...

Yeah! I'm glad you were able to get in on the conference and the pitch sessions. I've been so busy I've only had time to check out the forums.