Sunday, June 14, 2009

Manitoulin trip itinerary

More intense planning this week as I did some chart work and figured the bearings we'll need for each leg of our circumnavigation and the time it would take. Travelling at 3 kts. - if there is no wind - we'll be able to do the whole island in 8 days. But there will be wind. Most likely there will be a headwind in whatever direction we are going. Click on the image to enlarge.

Brilliant paddle tonight. The water was so still I could hear the "whirring" of the blades slicing through the water on each side of the kayak. The blackflies loved it. Coming through the narrows back onto our lake, I saw something swimming in the water. As I got closer I could see a distinctly ringed, puffy tail floating along behind the back of what I assumed was a beaver, but obviously not. I've never seen a raccoon swimming before and they are great swimmers! Possibly because of the density in their bodies, most of him floated. His back was half dry when he got to shore. He turned to stare at me as I glided silently past him. He was trying to figure out what I was. The house was shining as the last rays of the sunset hit it. My smile could not get any wider.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds brilliant! I love being out on the kayak... so do both my "girls", LOL!